Thursday, August 19, 2021

Speed, speeding, getting caught, loud exhaust pride

So, another ride, another adventure.
I had a route plan, but after having ridden half of it I changed my mind (because of traffic and timing) and detoured elsewhere. But anyway, I managed to ride across 6 passes having my great share of fun, in a dry day over the beautiful Dolomites.

Passes sequence has been: Manghen (2,047 mt /6,716 ft) followed by Lavazé ( 1,808 mt / 5,931 ft). This is the point I detoured, going to attack the Costalunga (1,745 mt / 5,725 ft), followed by the mad speed of the San Pellegrino (1,918 mt / 6,292 ft). To close the loop, the mandatory Valles (2,032 mt / 6,666 ft) and the mighty Rolle (1,989 mt / 6,525 ft).

Highlights of the ride?
Oh, I lost a knee slider somewhere on the Lavazé... and got caught by police on the first one, the Manghen.
I was cruising with some traffic, well, 2 or 3 cars and a van; being it a narrow twisty road, I passed the cars but couldn't overtake the van, as its shape didn't offer me enough safe view of what's ahead of it... so I just waited.
At a point, in a little wider section, the van moved sideways to let me go... and off I went, full throttle, high revving... well, just the way it must be. Sadly, immediately afterwards, cops were waiting for me! They gently invited me to stop... and when I tried to explain I just overtook a vehicle in a safe point, they replied: “Yes, but we HEARD you!”... and probably I didn't really hide how proud I felt!
Nevertheless but they were pretty fun and smart: they didn't care to rip my license or to inspect my not so legal motorcycle. They claimed they were there just for us to speed down, just to raise some awareness, just to save lives. Had a nice chat with the blokes. Of course they cannot know if the next upcoming bike is ridden by an expert rider or a newbie... so they must stop whoever not really cruising like in a moped, but I really loved their safety oriented attitude, far from the usual "money sucking" one. Cops did me a small ticket, just claiming my riding wasn't compatible with the kind of the road... without mentioning the other dozen of law article I probably had broken.

A fun fact: while they were doing me, come cyclist rode by... and they shouted something like “hey agents, are we speeding?” and the cops: “yeah! You must slow down NOW!”

I continued riding that pass in a less extreme way, I learned a lesson. A lesson I later forgot on the Lavazé... completely erasing any trace of it in a wonderfully clear and empty San Pellegrino!
Un altro giro, un'altra avventura.
Avevo un percorso in testa, ma dopo averne percorso la metà, ho cambiato idea (a causa di traffico e tempo), puntando verso un'altra direzione. Comunque, mi sono fatto 6 passi con un buon ritmo e gran divertimento, in uno scenario dolomitico completamente asciutto

La sequenza di passi: Manghen (2,047 mt /6,716 ft) seguito dal Lavazé ( 1,808 mt / 5,931 ft). Qui ho cambiato direzione, attaccando il Costalunga (1,745 mt / 5,725 ft), seguito dalla folle velocità del San Pellegrino (1,918 mt / 6,292 ft). Per chiudere il giro, l'obbligatorio Valles (2,032 mt / 6,666 ft) e il mitico Rolle (1,989 mt / 6,525 ft).

Punti salienti del giro?
Oh, ho perso una saponetta da qualche parte sul Lavazé... e mi hanno fermato le forze dell'ordine sul primo passo, il Manghen.
Stavo andando piano con del traffico, 2 o 3 auto e un furgone; essendo una strada stretta e piena di curve, ho superato le auto, ma non potevo passare il furgone in quanto la sua forma mi impediva di vedere davanti, riducendo il fattore sicurezza.
Ad un certo punto la strada era leggermente più larga, il furgone si è spostato a lato per farmi passare... ed io ho aperto tutto, esattamente come deve essere! Purtroppo, subito dopo, le forze dell'ordine mi stavano aspettando! Mi hanno gentilmente invitato a fermarmi... e alla mia giustificazione del sorpasso al momento opportuno, la risposta è stata: “si, ma ti abbiamo SENTITO!”... e credo di non essere stato in grado di nascondere l'orgoglio!
Tuttavia gli agenti si sono rivelati divertenti e intelligenti: non gli importava di distruggermi la patente o ispezionare la mia moto non propriamente in regola. A loro interessava farci rallentare, per far aumentare la consapevolezza dei possibili pericoli, per salvare delle vite. Ho avuto un'interessante diagolo con loro: ovviamente loro non possono sapere se la prossima moto che arriva è guidata da un esperto che sa destreggiarsi su quei percorsi o un principiante... quindi fermano tutti quelli che non stanno andando piano come un motorino... ma mi è davvero piaciuto il loro atteggiamento orientato alla sicurezza anziché al far cassa. Mi hanno dato una multa ridotta, 'accusandomi' solo di aver avuto una condotta non compatibile con il tipo di strada... senza citare l'altra dozzina di articoli del CdS che avrò sicuramente violato!

Mentre mi stavano compilando il verbale, sono passati dei ciclisti i quali hanno gridato qualcosa come “hey, agenti, stiamo andando troppo veloce?”... e gli agenti “Si! Dovete rallentare SUBITO!”

Poi ho continuato per la mia strada, affrontando quel passo in modo più tranquillo. Lezione imparata. Una lezione che poi ho scordato sul Lavazé... una lezione della quale non c'era più alcuna traccia su un fantastico, libero, asciutto e vuoto San Pellegrino!


Cops-Pit-Stop
Dolomites & landscape
Fun Road
more Landscape
A bike and a landscape
Same bike, wider view of the landscape
Look at those corners!

No comments:

Post a Comment